Skip to main content

Getting around to blogging after a few days off


 It's not been the warmest April day, but bright and breezy enough to put a spring in my step.  I eased myself into Saturday by tidying up and hoovering, and shoved a load of laundry in the machine.  Once that was pegged on the line I caught up with 'The Archers' while adding more quilting lines to this.  

I made this small quilt a while ago, at least the patchwork and appliqued part of it, and finally got around to adding backing fabric.  


I had very nearly enough of this soft grey floral cotton.  Just had to add a little corner piece of a similar style of material to make it large enough to back the quilt.  I tacked the layers together and the work-in-progress is currently sat on my dining table.  It's a very busy pattern, isn't it?  Hopefully the occasional section made in plain fabric allow the eye to rest on them, providing a little oasis of calm among the frenzy of dots, paisley motifs, flowers and swirls.  

I'm not convinced that I'll be able to get all the pieces to lie flat, without any lumps or bumps, but nothing we make is ever 100% perfect, is it?  If we didn't make mistakes or have difficulties, we wouldn't feel the urge to start a new project, have another go, improve our techniques.  

After that, I mooched down to the allotment and - trying to be tolerant toward the dandelions that're blooming like crazy, and providing food for the pollinators - I spent an hour relocating foxgloves from where they'd self seeded to where they needed to be.  So many foxgloves!  
There's no sign yet of the seeds I planted a week or two ago popping their heads above the ground.  But I've plenty started off at home, now living in the cold frame in the back garden.  So they'll make the journey down to my allotment plot in a month or so.
That journey's always rather fraught.  You nurture your baby squash plants and cucumber plants, coddling them, keeping them safe.  Then off they go to the wilds of allotment life.  Among the snails and slugs that might see them as a tasty feast.  
I'm not as diligent about allotmenting as some of the old boys who have plots they've maintained for years.  They're on site practically every day, come rain or shine.  
Rotivating, planting row after row of spuds and leafy greens.  Theirs is a very traditional, old-fashioned style of keeping an allotment.  Nothing wrong with it, but I favour something more haphazard.  Flowers among the soft fruit, plenty of herbs and things like borage and calendula grown purely to attract the bees.  

Once home, I re-potted various houseplants, feeling instantly guilty about how dried out I'd let them get.  The poor things!   I'd been trying to avoid over-watering them, but I think I went too far in the other direction and they've been gasping for a drink of water.  Something tells me I'm not a natural when it comes to indoor gardening.
It's early evening now, and there's nowt on the telly, so I'm re-watching series two of 'The Killing'.  The only problem with subtitled dramas is you can't sew or scroll through Twitter on your phone while you're half-watching it.  You either have to pay full attention to the TV screen, or miss something vital.  I was watching a French subtitled drama the other day, and at least with that you can pick up certain words and phrases.  But with Nordic Noir, it's such a different language, with nothing familiar about the sounds.  About all I can figure out is 'tak' for thanks.  
Well, I'm aware this hasn't been the most scintillating blog post you'll ever read, but it's been an enjoyable day all the same.  There's a lot to be said for life's small pleasures.  Being outdoors, getting dirt under your fingernails.  Appreciating the evening light.  How the days are stretching out, getting ready for the summer to come.  


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su