Skip to main content

Sunday into Monday

 


I meant to post this yesterday, but got distracted, so I'm sat here on the sofa with a cuppa and a few minutes to spare.  Well, it's April already and today is a fine, dry day.  Yesterday was partly spent on the allotment.  Planting spring onion and spinach seeds, plus moving self seeded foxgloves from the random spaces they'd grown into where I'd prefer them to be. The hyacinths are still blooming like crazy, providing welcome splashes of pink, white and vivid blue, and wonderful scent.  The wallflowers are looking pretty too, just a little more demure than the showy-off hyacinths who're very much 'hey! look at me!'  

Apart from that, I did a few hours of hand stitching, working on extra Chris English style scrappy blocks.  Then sorted some fabric to back the Terry Rowland style Colourwash lap quilt I'm making.  I was going to add a fleecy blanket backing to that, but not sure I've a piece of fleece large enough.  So instead I'll probably add wadding and a regular backing fabric, and I'll use the method of tying to quilt the 'sandwich' together.  Probably use buttons too as they'll disguise my slightly dodgy seams where I've not been 100% accurate in joining squares together.  

I've come to the conclusion that it's beyond me to cut fabric precisely!  Even using a ruler and rotary cutter I struggle with total accuracy.  I think accuracy in piecing is easier when it's the English paper piecing method, and that's what I'm more familiar with.  But practise makes perfect, so I'll persist.  

This week, I've got an eBay delivery arriving in a couple of days.  I did some late night browsing, buying a job lot of 22 mens ties.  (I really need to stay off shopping sites in an evening!  Too tempting.)  I know some ties will be silk, others polyester and cotton.  I'm thinking of washing them (obvs), then unpicking them and arranging them into a cushion cover.  I already bought a couple of silk ties the other day, and unpicking those was interesting in terms of seeing how they're assembled.  There's some nifty sewing in something as seemingly simple as a necktie.  

What else can I tell you?  Oh, I've made myself a small design board.  It's simply an old poster clip frame that I'd kept after I'd accidentally broken the glass.  I'd previously used the board for blocking needlepoint on.  I'd stretch the completed piece of needlepoint on the board and use drawing pins to keep it in place, so the board's now peppered with little holes like it's got wormwood.  Anyway, I stretched an offcut of fleece over the board, and simply used duct tape to secure it.  Basic DIY design, but useful all the same.  


Okay, the cup of tea's drunk and I need to complete some chores.  Bed linen wants changing, so I'll be wrestling with an unruly duvet, trying to cram it into a duvet cover.  Only slightly easier than trying to cram a bad tempered cat into a cat-carrier.  

As sunlight's pouring through the windows, I can see every smear on them, so they need cleaning.  Maybe at some point I'll get round to something crafty.  This is a corner of my sitting room, lots of creative clutter awaiting my attention.  


There're various bags and baskets lurking under the table, and on the shelves of a nearby bookcase.  I've got several collars from shirts that I've cut up for the fabric.  The collars are going to - if I can work out how - be sewn to the edge of a quilt.  They're joined button to buttonhole to make what looks like bunting.  


Above are those couple of unpicked ties.  

Also, waiting for future use are squares of denim, along with pockets from cut-up jeans.  I like the shape of the pockets, also what seems like the shadow of the pocket once it's unpicked from its original position.  I want to collect lots of pockets to assemble into something quirky.  More trips to the charity shop are called for!  


Okay, that's it for now.  Have a good day.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su