Skip to main content

A good read? 'Visible Mending'

I thought I'd do some book reviews, specifically of craft books as they're often expensive to buy, being full of colour illustrations and usually unlikely to trouble the bestseller lists or turn up on supermarket shelves at cut prices.  So having a feel for whether you want to spend your hard earned money on a book is needed, and I always appreciate an honest review.  

I've quite a collection of craft books, some bought second hand but many new.  Treats for myself or ones I've been given as presents.  But I'll start with one that's borrowed from the library.  It's 'Visible Mending' by Arounna Khounnoraj.  It's subtitled 'Repair, reuse, renew the clothes you love' which gives you a pretty good idea of where this book's going.  

The book's divided into sections on what sewing tools to use, how to do basic mending techniques using applique, sashiko, darning, dyeing, printing... and more.  Also, a decent sized section on projects, with things you can mend or make from scratch.  

But firstly, why?  Why should you bother mending things when it's easy and cheap to chuck something out - especially clothing - and simply replace it?  Here's an explanation that stuck with me.  In a quoted study by academics, about urban consumption, 

' ... it was suggested that reducing our clothing purchases to eight new items a year would cut supply chain waste by 50% and achieve climate change goals in the textile industry by the year 2050.  And if you're up for a real challenge and you reduce your purchases to three new items per year, that would cut supply chain waste by 75%.'  

That's quite something, huh?  It got me thinking about the last time I bought brand new clothes, and what I purchased.  Though the vast majority of my clothing comes from charity (thrift) shops, I do buy new when it comes to leggings, undies, socks and camisole style tee shirts.  How many of those were cheap-as-chips, won't last that long, Primark style products?  Worn until they get tatty, then binned?

We all need to buy less brand new stuff.  Buy better quality.  And mend!  Re-introduce ourselves to skills our grandmas or great grandmas took for granted.  So this book's a practical guide, and a good looking book too, with lots of clear illustrations, photographs and several templates to copy.  

Okay, let's go through the book in more detail.  After a brief look at the basic tools you'll need - nothing too fancy or pricey - there are examples of the stitches you'll be using.  Simple drawings and straightforward instructions are given for topstitching, tacking, backstitch, whipstitch, slipstitch and blanket stitch.  You're shown how to sew on a button and make a double hem.  Then it's on to essential mending techniques.  Among other skills, you'll learn darning weave with seed stitches, also the basics of needle felting and patching.  Small sections follow on dyeing and block printing before the book moves on to the mending projects.  

Featured are: extensive repairs to a pair of blue denim jeans; pretty appliqued butterflies on a moth eaten top; visible woven darning on a cardie that'd also been the victim of those pesky moths.  There're repairs to the heels of socks and knitted mittens, also a patched up tweedy jacket and a men's shirt.  A beret repaired with needlefelting; some very cute embroidery-on-felt patches; embroidered flowers on a dress and mittens; a block printed sweatshirt.  

There are also projects where you upcycle fabric to make 'new' items.  A practical and pretty sashiko sewing booklet, for storing your needles, scissors and threads.  A loop scarf and a patch cushion, a patchwork envelope pouch, also a useful and sturdy looking bucket bag.  There's an appliqued cushion and an indigo dyed quilt, and finally some 'wearable art' with stitched fabric necklaces.  

You can see from that list there's lots in this book, and you're bound to find something you want to sew.  Personally I plan on making the sewing booklet and the bucket bag, and have at least one pure wool jumper that's in need of darning because elbows or cuffs have got threadbare.  

I've already placed an order for this book from an online supplier as it's a keeper.  A great mix of practical techniques and ideas to inspire you.  Some craft books are so slight, you get to the end of them and think 'is that it?'.  The book goes on a shelf and barely gets opened again, or else it finds its way to the charity shop.  But 'Visible Mending' is heavy on content, and what's included is good quality, well presented and, I think, worth the purchase price.  

Well, that's my first book review, imperfect as my prose is.  I'm hoping to get into the habit of producing a review every Wednesday, regular as clockwork.  Let's see how that works out, shall we?  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su