Skip to main content

Flowers, flowers and more flowers. Oh, and rain. Plenty of rain.

My first visit to Tatton Park Flower Show was on Saturday, and it was a great day out.  Despite at times heavy rain and mud underfoot.  There were plenty of clued up people at the show who'd arrived prepared, presumably having visited before, and I envied their sensible wellies and waterproofs.  But it didn't matter as there were lots of floral displays undercover to admire and covet.  
The show cemented in my mind how much I love the English cottage garden look, a seemingly artless but actually highly accomplished mix of colours and scents.  Lots of white, pink, pale purples.  Tall salvias and exuberant echinacea.  Eye catching eremurus, the perfect spheres of aliums.  
I tried to concentrate on taking pictures of what I liked and what I intend to grow myself, though didn't always manage to get the label with the plant's name included in the shot.  
If I'd money to spare I'd have bought masses of plants.  As it was I'm making plans in my head for elaborate, well planned flower borders for next summer.  That's the joy of gardening, isn't you?  There's always another year in which to get things right!  
Yes, I absolutely love echinacea.  I've learnt that it's so important for the pollinators to have different shapes of flowers to feed from.  These open daisy shapes, the bell-like flowers of foxgloves and hollyhocks, the intricacies of verbena bonariensis and the up-turned umbrella shapes of yarrow and fennel.  
When we weren't admiring the plant display and show gardens, we were sitting down to a very fancy afternoon tea.  Scones with cream and jam, posh cakes and delicious sandwiches, plus a couple of glasses of champagne.  Who needs sunshine when you've a classic cream tea?  
Though I may need to lose a few pounds before my weigh-in at slimming club on Thursday!  Anyway, today - an equally rainy Sunday - was spent recovering from all that scoffing and walking.  I recently treated myself to a gelli plate, brayer and some acrylic paints.  Which means I'm listening to podcasts and doodling nature inspired motifs, so I can experiment with hand printing.  I want to make some cards, maybe gift wrap, and - if I buy fabric paint - to print on plain fabric and hem that to make tea towels.  I've got a copy of Lotta Jandotter's 'Lotta Prints' book to give me ideas and practical info on how to print successfully.  Perhaps I'll get stuck into that tomorrow.  
Well, that's the last of the photos.  Hope you liked them.  I'd absolutely recommend a visit to Tatton Park, though take my advice.  Wellies and waterproofs!  You know it makes sense.  





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...