Skip to main content

Eight quilt blocks and yet more books!

 

After my recent flurry of Gelli printing I felt the urge to return to patchwork this weekend, and pulled out of my stash various pretty colours.  Mainly pink, green and light grey.  I'd a piece of plain white cotton and a 9 and a half inch square quilt ruler, so I cut out eight squares from the cotton.  Which was as many as I could get out of that remnant.  

Deciding on a wonky log cabin pattern I machine sewed my blocks, making sure each block differed.
I really like these colours and the log cabin design.  
Am not sure whether to make more blocks of the same fabrics or whether to alternate them with plain blocks or join them together using sashing.  Will have to think about that and see what I prefer.  Anyway, just a couple of other things to tell you about.  I found two more books for my To-Be-Read pile.  Couldn't resist these charity shop bargains.  
Oh, and I made another quick page for my art journal.  I'm trying to be speedy and spontaneous about it, not worrying whether it looks suitably arty or accomplished.  
Notice the pink crayoning and tissue paper.  I've obviously had that colour in mind this weekend, haven't I?  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su