Skip to main content

Make a paper star

Well, I have to admit I'm feeling quite pleased with myself.  I wasn't convinced I could make this work, but it's really not too bad at all.  My first attempt at making a paper star.  

This all started because I was trawling through YouTube, looking at videos on how to successfully print using the gelli plate.  Too many of my prints were ending up muddy messes, so I needed to learn some techniques.  I came across an American artist called Elizabeth St Hilaire and one of her videos called 'Fabulous Shimmery Gelli Printed Paper Star, Easy!'  I mean, with a title like that, how could I not watch it?  

She made a wonderful looking decorative star, very bright and bold, and constructed out of paper bags.  Yup, a stack of humble, everyday paper bags.  After they were printed on, complete with metallic and iridescent paint to make them shimmer, she cut the bags into a point at one end and glued them together.  The construction's quite straightforward, and I wanted to try it straight away.

Not having a handy stack of paper bags, and not wanting to wait until Amazon or eBay could deliver them, I used photocopier/printer paper instead.  

I printed sheets of it in various colours, and ended up with twelve I liked.  Then I folded and glued two sides of each sheet of paper to make the bags.  

Deviating slightly from the order in which it's done in the video, I found the centre point at the opening of each bag, and cut the top part into a point.  So each bag looked like the shape a child draws when they imagine a house.  

Stacking up my twelves 'house' shapes, it was time to assemble the star.  It was a case of being heavy handed with the glue stick, firmly pushing the glued pieces together to ensure them bonded well.  

It was a lovely feeling to unfurled my star and see it take shape.  

I punched a hole in two points and threaded a ribbon through for hanging, and am already planning to make another star.  Maybe Christimas colours, lots of red and gold?  It'd look good to print on both sides of the paper too, so when the star's opened out there's no white paper on view.  Unless I printed on coloured paper in the first place?  

I'd love to think some of you might have a go at creating a paper star too.  You could use actual paper bags instead of making them, to speed up the process, or use fancy wrapping paper instead of printing on plain paper if you don't want to mess about with acrylics, stamps and stencils.  The link for the YouTube video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvbPzUpg224&t=7s.  (I'm not great with technology, so I hope that gets you there.  Otherwise just type in the artist's name, Elizabeth St Hilaire.)  If you don't want to watch the entire video, simply watch the first four minutes or so, then skip ahead to about 24 minutes and see how the star's constructed.   Good luck!   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...