Skip to main content

Birds and cat collar bells

My spirits definitely lift when the sun makes an appearance, even if it's a bright but distinctly chilly day as it was this morning.  I've been finishing these notebooks, meant as Christmas gifts.  I'm not the world's best at accurate cutting when it comes to the pages inside, but I'm improving as I make more of these little books. 

They contain blank copier paper, and I've used a corner-cutting device to make the pages look a wee bit more professional.  The card used as covers has itself been covered by my gell prints, and I've used different prints outside and inside to add extra interest.  Hopefully these books will be well received when they turn up in various Christmas stockings.  
I managed to get a hefty wedge of cardstock for a bargain price of a fiver yesterday.  I don't bother much with Facebook - and certainly don't post any highly personal info on it - but occasionally I browse the marketplace section, and found someone local selling a box of assorted card for a fraction of its retail price. 
There were also several sheets of rather schmaltzy sentimental decoupage images, but I'll bundle them up and drop them off at the charity shop.  I'm sure an enthusiastic cardmaker or scrapbooker will snap them up.  
After I finished messing about with making notebooks I reluctantly pushed the hoover around and washed dishes, then it was on to a sewing project that's hung around way, way too long.  Ages ago I made these decorative birds that hang in my front room.
I wanted to make a few more strings of these, but that intention stalled, so today I dug out the birds I'd started making and resumed my efforts.  
I'd made several in mainly blue fabrics and slightly more in pinks.  I worked on five of the pink birds, and got them 'stuffed' and sewn up, and strung on a length of beads too.

I'll write a blog post, probably tomorrow, about how I've put all this together, but for now I'll finish this string of birds off with added sequins for a little extra sparkle and a few bells for extra jingle!  The bells are ones that once adorned cats collars.  The collars are long gone, as sadly are the cats, but I kept the bells as - isn't this what we crafty minded folk always say? - I knew they'd come in useful one day.  
This plastic tub is the less-than-glamorous home to various jars and tins containing seed beads, sequins, bugle beads and small pieces of costume jewellery like single earrings or brooches with broken fastenings.  On the left is a Dairy Box tin, from the days when an assortment of chocolates was something special and came in a metal container instead of a disposable cardboard box.  I think this particular tin's from the 1950s, and it's very battered and worn  It's impractical to imagine we could return to a time when confectionery was sold in tins, but modern packaging is so wasteful, there's got to be a better way.  
Oh well, I need to get on with sewing bells on to birds tails - like that's a perfectly normal thing to write! - have a good evening, and maybe wander back this way in a day or two if you want a rundown of how to make these decorative birds.  Bye for now.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su