Skip to main content

Brrr! It's getting cold ...

SATURDAY:  There's no doubt winter's well and truly upon us, is there?  Last night was the first frost for many, many  months, and I'd to crack the ice on the makeshift birdbath this morning.  I made sure I topped up the peanut feeders for the hungry little birdies.  This morning I got the boring things out of the way - laundry, hoovering, paying bills - and spent a little while messing about with making a Victorian purse puzzle.  If you've not come across these before, and I hadn't until a couple of days ago, they're easy to make once you figure out which fold goes where. 

If you head over to YouTube there's a short video by Leapling Studio, titled 'Make with Me: Victorian Puzzle'.  The only slightly tricky bit is creating the windmill shape, but once that's understood then you've cracked it.  I'm not much good at drawing, but I splashed watercolours paints and coloured pencils over a square of sketchpad paper, and am still trying to conjure up an underwater scene.  I'll add metallcs for shimmer and shine.  

Apart from messing about with arty stuff, I'm trying to do some clutter-clearing.  Listing clothes I don't wear on eBay, taking broken or outdated electrical equipment to a recycling point, and passing on books I started but didn't like and never finished.  I reckon I've got more ruthless about novels that disappoint as the years have gone by.  I used to grit my teeth and plough on, but now I'm more likely to take them to the charity shop for someone else to (hopefully) enjoy.  I recently finished the fifth of Robert Galbraith's Strike series, and am in the library reserve queue for the latest, plus the new Richard Osman.  I'm 127th in line for the Strike novel and 211 for Mr Osman's!  Maybe Santa will bring me a book token and I can read them sooner?  Fingers crossed, eh?  
On the subject of reading, I've just started 'The Mercies' by Kiran Millwood Hargrave.  It's apparently based on a true story that happened in the early 1600s and concerned a remote Norwegian island.  All the men went out to sea, fishing, but a violent storm caused them to drown.  Leaving the island's women to take up their late husbands, brothers and fathers work, and to show an independence of spirit that wasn't welcomed by wider society.  The king at the time was a fan of our James I, who himself was a fanatic about fighting supposed witchcraft, and the Norwegian king summoned a Scottish witch hunter to deal with these strong minded, capable women.  It seems many women were condemned as witches and killed because of that misogynistic mistaken belief.  I'm looking forward to really getting stuck into 'The Mercies'.  It's looking promising.  
SUNDAY:  I was going to write more and take photos of the Victorian purse puzzle now I've added more detail to it.  But Saturday's been and gone, and it's now Sunday evening, and the artificial light's not bright enough to take a decent picture.  Anyway. I'm warm and cosy, full of pasta and about to soldier on with online Christmas shopping.  So that's all for now. Bye.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...