Skip to main content

Should've worn a lot more clothing!

                                         (shopping in Leeds can be a glamorous business!)

THURSDAY:    

I thought I was well wrapped up yesterday, but obviously not.  I've always been one of those people that feel the cold, but maybe that gets more deeply felt as we get older?  Anyway, I could've done with a few post-menopausal hot flushes as the weather was dry but flipping freezing  when I hopped on an early bus to town for an art class.  It was held at the city art gallery, a free two hour taster session about lino cutting.  I've played around with lino printing years ago, but was happy to be re-introduced to the craft.  The group of about a dozen were all women, and given the session was held during the day, it was mainly 'Women of a Certain Age'!  Though there was a young woman in her early twenties who was there with her mum, which was very sweet.  Firstly, we were shown the latest gallery hangings and then it was a brief explanation of how to come up with a simple design, and how to use the cutting tools.  There were some photocopied images to inspire us - poppy seed heads, leaves, that sort of thing.  The lino we used wasn't the kind many of us would've encountered years ago.  Those hard red clay tiles with hessian backing.  The ones where you had to soften them up on a radiator, otherwise they'd be a struggle to cut into.  These new versions were pale, softer blocks, much easier to carve shapes in.

I went for a stylized teasel, though it kind of ended up looking like a spider or some weird sea creature!  The cutting around the teasel was done with scissors, as I hadn't a craft knife, so the overall teasel was fairly crude, but it was only a practise piece after all.  To print with we used oblongs of simple calico and tubes of Speedball fabric paint, and I was fairly pleased with how my teasel turned out.  

Unfortunately we ran out of time, the session going over its two hour slot, so there wasn't a chance to do any embroidery, apart from the tiniest bit of running stitch.  But I might turn at least one of these teasels into a pincushion.  

Enthused by this, I couldn't help nipping into Hobbycraft afterwards and buying my own lino cutting tool and a couple of small tiles.  

Back home and slightly de-frosted, I carved into the teasel shape some more, and a sharp craft knife definitely worked way better than scissors.  Printing on to paper, this version looked more teasel like.  Though the acrylic paint wasn't ideal for the purpose, so I'd need to buy some printing paint when funds allow.  
FRIDAY: 

Well, I meant to post this yesterday, but my photos were taking ages to upload, and I didn't end up getting it done.  Friday's arrived and the day's weather forecast reckons it won't rain.  In a spirit in optimism I've pegged washing out on the line, hoping some of the moisture might be dried out of it before I drape a load of damp laundry over the radiators.  (No tumble dryer, you see.)  

This morning I had a sudden urge to make a brand new quilt, so I began pulling out fabrics from my stash, going for a range of blues.  Then, I deliberately put the brakes on.  Nope, not a sensible idea to start yet another quilt when I've several in various stages of construction.  With heartfelt sighs and rolling of eyes I decided to make progress with my existing unfinished pieces.  I dragged out this denim quilt that'd sat on a shelf for ages.  I'd made the patchwork top, then wanted a tomato red fabric for the backing.  However, I didn't have anything tomato red and never got round to buying any.  

Which was probably a good thing as I really need to use up the material I've got instead of constantly buying new.  If I don't, then I'm just being consumerist.  Acquiring more, not out of need but because I want it.  Of course, anyone who quilts wants a decent stash of fabric from which to work, with a variety of colours and patterns.  But there's no use buying such a volume of stuff that it merely becomes clutter and goes un-used.  

Anyway, I picked out a pretty print for the backing, with orange foxes that actually look good along with the blue denim.  

I sewed the backing on, and am tying the three layers of denim, wadding and backing fabric together with red embroidery thread.  Which unfortunately I've run out of.  But I'm pleased to have got within sight of the finishing line with this project.  
This is the other quilt I've made progress with today.  It was complete except for the binding which was pinned but not stitched.  To my annoyance I discovered a few pins had gone rusty - it must've been where they'd previously come into contact with glue and the moisture had caused the rust - so I've had to improvise to cover those small marks.  I rummaged in my button tin and gathered together several white buttons, the size you'd get on men's shirts.  I've been sewing these on to disguise the marks and that's worked out well.  Note to self: be more careful with your dressmaking pins!  That's a lesson learnt, believe me.  

Finally, as if this wasn't enough, my sitting room carpet is currently half-covered by quilt blocks, from what's intended to be my second Chris English inspired scrappy quilt.  I'm in the process of pinning the individual blocks together in twos, then in blocks of four.  Maybe that'll be my occupation for this evening?  Unless I've run out of creative energy by that point.  Hmm, let's see what today brings.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to make these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su