Monday 26 February 2024

Does anyone enjoy writing instructions?

I used to work as an office administrator and must've written scores of departmental memos in my time.  I prided myself on being clear, precise, making points logically and so they could be easily understood.  So why do I now struggle with writing instructions?  Maybe I want to feel I've moved on from those sometimes fun but mainly times monotonous working days?  Anyway, whatever reason, I've spent way too long this morning writing a simple blog post explaining how to make a fabric cuff.  Now, I get to write another set of instructions to be printed and included in a kit, about how to make the very same thing.  Which is fair enough, but I'd rather be sewing!  Mind you, doing this stops me from thinking about the bowlful of washing up in the kitchen, so it's not all bad.  
I've got this pretty Emma Bridgewater 'Strawberries & Cream' bowl next to me, filled with embroidery thread in equally pretty colours.  The bowl's got several chips around the rim, so it's gone from being a cereal bowl to having a second life holding craft supplies. 
Coffee mugs that've become chipped or lost their handles experience their second life as pen or brush holders.  Well, it pays to get value for money out of what you purchase, and I'm a great believer in 'waste not, want not'.  The odd imperfection doesn't bother me too much.  
Besides the instructional writing, I did manage a couple of other small crafty tasks that've hung around for no good reason.  I added backing fabric to two more pennants / boho bunting or whatever I'm calling them!  That's eight made so far, and I'll have to make at least one more as it's better to have an odd number than even.  Don't ask me, why, it just is.  
Also, this morning I sewed backing material on to this kinda weird bit of slow stitching.  It's a square of white cotton I painted with acrylic before adding stencils and stamping.  I've been rather half-heartedly stitching into it, but then went into overdrive the other evening.  I've since added masses of running stitches, outlining and filling in shapes made by the stencils in particular.  
I found a lovely dusty pink printed material I'd been hanging on to, waiting for the right use for it, and backed my slow stitching with it.  So now I've a stitched, backed square I'm wondering what to do with.  Make up into a fabric roll?  Sew into an envelope style pouch?  I can't decide.  
In other 'news' I had an eBay delivery today.  A pack of ten flex frames I bought which, I hadn't noticed when I initially purchased them, were sent all the way from China.  I should've selected a UK seller really as it seems wrong - or at least not massively ethical - to order stuff from the other side of the world.  But then again, if I'd bought from a UK seller the actual frames might've been supplied from a Chinese manufacturer anyway.  Attempts to shop ethically aren't that easy, are they?  
I've not used flex frames before for making purses or spex cases, so that's another new skill to master.  
Okay, I can't ignore that mini-mountain of washing up for any longer.  I'll do it and reward myself with a chocolate bar.  Yup, that's a plan.  
Hope you're having a good day, and bye for now.  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purple Pouffe Pincushion

  I have to limit time spent on Instagram as it's addictive.  Once you start scrolling through the endlessly inventive creations on ther...