Tuesday 12 March 2024

Doll making, fabric postcards & other W.I.P.s

 

I don't know about you, but I could happily spend hours browsing on Instagram.  It can be intimidating to see unbelievably perfect creations, but on the whole the photos are inspiring.  I saw these lovely fabric dolls sewn by 'quaintmarie' - link here - and despite my many works-in-progress I had to try making something similar.  Firstly I cut out a basic paper pattern.
I stretched a piece of calico over an embroidery hoop, then selected scraps of material and arranged them on the calico.  Putting the paper doll on top, and as I don't have a fabric marker pen I used a bright yellow thread to tack around the doll's outline.  
Then I stitched the pieces down and embroidered on top of them.  
Once I was happy with that, I added backing fabric and stuffed my doll with leftover thread and tufts of wadding.  I plaited three different colours of embroidery thread and attached a loop to hang the doll from.  Overall, I was quite happy with my efforts.  Though the legs I made for her are too small to be noticeable, and the red berries I stitched among the green leaves are also too tiny to be seen.  Might add a few red seed beads instead.  
The doll doesn't serve any practical purpose.  Though I suppose she could be used as a pincushion, that'd make her look like a voodoo dolly!  But (1) not everything has to be practical and (2) trying to make something is a great way to learn how to appreciate the original maker's skill and artistry.  The dolls arranged in quaintmarie's photo might look simple, but she's made them beautifully.  Chosen her fabric with care, and embroidered them so well.  
Also on Instagram, I love Chris English's patchwork.  He's got a knack of combining wildly different colours and patterns.  Lately I've liked the fabric cards he's been making, so - being me - I had to try that too.  This pink one is finished and I've glued a piece of white cardstock to the back of it.  I've used a mix of new and upcycled material, including the piece of embroidered tablecloth.  I've machine sewn and handsewn, though in pale pink and lemon threads which don't show up much in the photo above. I like the card, but it's too restrained.  I should've been bolder with my colour choices.  I'm partway through a second fabric card, this one's all about the blues.  
I'm going to stitch into the batik, emphasizing the pattern made by the wax resist.  The plain blue pieces are silk, the blue & white ditsy print was once part of a men's shirt, while there's a patch of upcycled dress material in the lower left corner.  
That blue work-in-progress is sat on top of a fabric roll that I made thinking it'd be used as a journal wrap.  The inside is material from Bazaar - love that bold pattern - and the outside's pieced together from lots of reds and purples.  
The size isn't exactly right for the purpose I'd intended, so I might fold it into a pouch instead, sew up the sides and add a fastening.  Or maybe turn it into a simple bag with a long crossbody strap.  
Either way, I love the colours.  I definitely veer toward the red/purple side of the colour wheel.  
Thanks for stopping by, and you're welcome to comment on anything you see.  Let me know if you're an Instagram browser too.  Any crafters I ought to be following on there?  I'm happy to hear your recommendations.  Or recommend yourself!  I'd love to see what you make.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purple Pouffe Pincushion

  I have to limit time spent on Instagram as it's addictive.  Once you start scrolling through the endlessly inventive creations on ther...