Thursday 14 March 2024

Tsundoku and slow stitching

I learnt a new word today/  Tsundoku.  Apparently it's when you buy lots of books and pile 'em up with the intention that one day you'll get around to reading them.  Yup, I know that feeling.  I've books that've been patiently waiting their turn for ages, while others get consumed straightaway.  I'm currently reading and really enjoying a bit of magical realism.  'The Thief on the Winged Horse' by Kate Mascarenhas. 
Sometimes stories based around magical realism can be way too cutesy and 'ooh, look at me, aren't I quirky?!' but this author's judged the tone just right.  
I spent some of this morning packaging up sari/boho style fabric for my Etsy shop - link here - then felt  at a loose end.  I wanted to do something crafty, but couldn't settle and get stuck into any one particular thing.  I took a second look at this fabric postcard which I wasn't totally satisfied with, so I pulled the cardboard off the back and added some detail.  
I'm still not 100% happy with it, but it's better than it was.  I think I'll just send it to someone as a postcard and then I don't have to see it anymore!  Yesterday evening I also added more stitching to this slow stitched piece.  
Finally, here's the blue fabric postcard I completed yesterday, and the first I'm entirely happy with.  
The silk was beautiful to stitch into, and I wish I'd more of the batik.  If I was ever lucky enough to come into money - not that I ever play the Lottery or have rich relatives about to pop their clogs and leave me a massive inheritance - I wouldn't waste the cash on a flashy car or a top-of-the-range designer kitchen.  I'd buy fabric.  A whole roomful of it.  Silk and batik and Kaffe Fassett and Liberty Tana Lawn, Anna Maria Horner and all the other material I covet.  I'd hoard Chinese brocade and Indian block prints.  Oh, and wool.  Mohair, angora, Rowan kid silk, nubbly tweedy yarns, handspun yarn in sumptuous colours.  

Oh well, we can all dream, can't we?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purple Pouffe Pincushion

  I have to limit time spent on Instagram as it's addictive.  Once you start scrolling through the endlessly inventive creations on ther...