Skip to main content

HOW TO MAKE: a petal gift bag

These petal gift bags are ridiculously quick to make and really pretty.  I can't claim the idea's orginally mine - see Instragram for the source - but here's how I made them.  The first bag was the one at the top of this photo, so choosing fabric was trial and error.  I went for two prints, though the second bag - with the peppermint green material - shows you're better off choosing a plain and a patterned.  Anyway, here goes with my first attempt,  
I picked green floral for my background and pink flowers for the petals.  These cotton squares are 7 inches.  Put the squares right sides together, sew all around 'em but leaving a gap of an inch or so unstitched.  (I used a sewing machine, but hand-sew if you'd rather.)  
Trim a notch off each corner, turn rights sides out, poke out the corners and sew the gap closed.  You might want to give it a press with the iron too.  
With the fabric you've picked for the petals facing downward, turn up each corner and pin in place.  I measured 2 inches from a corner and used those points as my fold line.  So you end up with four triangles of equal size.  
As shown in the photo above, sew these corners in place, thereby creating the channel for your cord or narrow ribbon to run through.  
Thread your cord through each corner, flip the piece over and gather up the cord to form the petals and bag.  You can add beads and knots to each cord end to pretty it up even further.  I used a pale pink satin cord from Hobbycraft and a few beads with holes large enough. 
At this stage I realised the contrast between the two fabrics wasn't enough for the flower petals to really show up.  Which led to the second attempt.  
Pink for the petals, green for the background.  An 8 inch square, so slightly bigger.  As before, put the squares face to face, sew around, leave a gap, turn right sides out.  I didn't stitch the gap closed this time, but used a few dabs of Hi-Tac fabric glue.  A chunky 10mm knitting needle helped to get my corners as pointy as possible.  
I made the petals larger by measuring 2 and a half inches from each corner and using that as my fold line.  
With the previous bag I'd sewn each corner down individually, stopping and starting, but for this second bag I sewed a continuous line all around the square. 
It looks neater this way.  
A mini safety pin helped pushed the cord through the channels.
All done!  
I hope my instructions, plus the original maker's very clear video, are enough to get you creating your own petal gift bags.  You could easily make larger bags, and the variations on colour and fabric design used are endless.  I can see these being made in Christmas themed material.  Or how about black and orange Halloween themed bags, room for lots of sweets inside.  They'd also make party bags if you don't want to buy single-used paper based bags for a children's party.  Or slow-stitch these, instead of running them up on a sewing machine if that's your thing.  Perhaps add an embroidered detail or two?  Let me know in the comments if you think of anything else to use these bags for.  Thanks for stopping by my blog.  
Have fun, and hope you enjoy your weekend.  











 

Comments

  1. Hi - this is Carol from the lime sofa. Love this. I am going to try and follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol. Nice to hear from you, and I hope you come back for more!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...