Skip to main content

Butterflies, mini quilts, books and - oh yes - Creation Day

 

It's early evening on Thurday, and I'm in desperate need of ideas for my brother's birthday present.  You know what blokes are like.  Ask them what they want, you get a shrug and 'I dunno'.  I haven't a clue what to get him as he's enough gadgets and devices to last him a lifetime.  At this rate he's getting socks & gardening gloves as at least I know he'll use those.  
Anyway, on to other matters.  After that 'tidy up or we'll kick you off' letter from the allotment people I've been pulling up weeds and cutting back anything unsightly or overgrown.  The plot's not perfect yet but it's definitely in better shape. I'm leaving the large swathes of marjoram though as the purple flowers are attracting bees and butterflies.  Not as many as usual, but our insects are having a tough time right now.  Loss of habitat, climate change.  They need a helping hand.  The borage is flowering too, and that's always a favourite with bees.  Interesting fact about borage - after a bee visits a flower and takes the nectar from it, the flower refills with nectar within two minutes.  So it's fantastically pollinator-friendly and like a running buffet for bees.  
When it comes to crafty pursuits, I was painting fabric again the other day.  The colours on this photo look all washed-out, but they're much more vivid in real life.  The patterns came from home made stamps, using adhesive backed craft foam.  I particularly like the dotty stamp which was made by using a hole punch, sticking tiny foam circles on to a cardboard base.  Very fiddly to make, but worth the ten minutes or so it took.  
This long strip of once white cotton fabric was painted with a creamy yellow acrylic, then stamped and stenciled.  
I've now made three of these teeny-tiny mini quilts - to go on the front of blank greetings cards - and have a fourth in the pipeline.  There's something very pleasing about working on such a small scale.  
Apart from gardening and sewing, I've been rummaging in charity shops as per usual.  A pair of denim jeans for a quid.  They're a strange three quarter length, very wide legged design, but who cares as they're destined to be chopped up for the fabric.  I picked up this zip up Joules case too.  I don't know if it's meant to be a make up case or for jewellery, but at £2.00 it was too pretty to pass by.  I've also bought yet more books ... I know, I know, I have mountains of 'em already, but they look like four good ones.  
I've read some of Laura Purcell's books before, and she's reliable for a Gothicky, creepy, not-horror-but-unsettling-and-strange type story.  Having finished reading Janice Hallett's 'The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels', I've already started on 'A War of Flowers' and it's not too bad.  The romantic storyline is a wee bit cheesy, but the settings of pre war Paris and Berlin are drawing me in.  
The final thing I thought I'd mention is this.  It's going to be a wall hanging.  You see, my church is having a Creation Day in September.  Which might sound weird, but it's actually quite a simple and rather nice idea.  Getting people together to celebrate all the things that're wonderful about our world.  Parishioners are asked to make something.  Could be painted, knitted, drawn, photographed, maybe made from recycled materials.  Something that speaks of how precious our planet is, how beautiful, and how we need to look after it and cherish it.  So I'm trying to make a wall hanging where the base represents the sea, then the middle's the earth - our green & pleasant land - then above that will be blue sky, clouds and sunshine.  As you can see, I haven't got very far yet, and I'm not entirely convinced I can produce something I'm happy to have exhibited for all to see.  I want to embroider plants and insects, shells, fishes, all on top of a fairly abstract background.  I'm going to soldier on with this, and it may or may not all come together.  If it doesn't, I may need a Plan B.  Maybe some colourful bunting or a flock of felt birds?  Wish me luck!  

Comments

  1. I love a plan as you go project. They often turn out really well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Cherie. Most of my sewing's 'plan as you go' as I tend to make it up as I go along! Sometimes it's a good outcome, sometimes ... not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO MAKE: these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I