Skip to main content

The first of the blackberries have been picked ...

 

There are three or four blackberry bushes on my allotment, and the first of the berries to ripen and be ready to eat were picked today.  Served with fat free natural yoghurt and a meringue nest, completely delicious.  Lots of the hedgerows locally have blackberries growing in them, and I'll be out - with my freezer bags and plastic tubs - collecting berries in a few weeks time when they're at their peak of sweetness.  

I was on my allotment today, making the most of the sunshine, and doing my best to tidy things up.  I've not been spending enough time down there this year.  A combination of cold, rainy weather and having other things to occupy myself with has kept me away.  Consequently, yesterday I received one of those official 'tidy your plot or we'll kick you off' letters.  Ooops!  I've nearly four weeks to get my act together, which is do-able, and I've made a good start.  Pulling up weeds and flowers that've gone to seed, cutting back unruly plants like the mint that's grown at supersonic speed, spreading itself far and way too wide.  I should've planted mint in a container, not stuck it in the ground.  That lesson will be well and truly learnt as in days to come I try and pull out a sizeable amount of its roots to make room for other plants.  

Back at home, I've finished reading this, about an extraordinary woman who spied for the Soviet Union, passing herself off as an ordinary wife and mother, all the time being one of the U.S.S.R's most skilful agents.  After this weighty read, I galloped through Robert Galbraith's 'The Running Grave'.  I love the series of Strike novels, and this was a real page turner.  It's odd with books how I often seem to go from one book to another, choosing them randomly, but coincidentally either specific themes or historical figures appear in both.  I read C.J Sansom's 'Revelation' which featured Katherine Parr, then she was the main character in Elizabeth Fremantle's 'Queen's Gambit'.  There were a couple of novels where Thomas Cromwell featured in both.  With 'Agent Sonya' there's the theme of espionage.  Infiltrating organisations, gathering information, reporting it back, being at constant risk of discovery.  In 'The Running Grave' one of the detectives infiltrates a religious cult, becomes immersed in it, gathers information but all the time is at risk of being exposed as working undercover.  
The next book I've randomly chosen is Janice Hallett's 'The Mysterious Case of the Alperton Angels'.  Never read this author before, and when I looked at the blurb on the back cover - oh, there you go! - it's about a notorious cult led by a charismatic leader, and dark secrets at the heart of it.  Weird, huh?  
Moving away from fiction, here are three books of a different kind.  The one on the left is another journal made up of gell printed pages.  I wanted to use up pretty much all of my A4 sheets of gell prints, so made this.  Not sure what I'll use it for.  Maybe an ideas book.  To stick scraps of paper in with scribbled notes about things to make or swatches of fabric or images torn from magazines and stuck on the pages with washi tape.  
The other two are repurposed babies board books.  I filmed myself flicking through them, which isn't easy when you've a phone in one hand and the other's trying to turn the thick, sturdy pages.  I should in theory be able to insert the video here, but my limited technical skills means I'm being an eejit and can't work out how!  So the video's on Instagram as a reel, and the link is here.  
I'm still playing about with simple doll shapes, and this was finished this morning.  I'm not sure about the gal's face though.  
She looks slightly unhinged.  Or is that my over-active imagination?  
The last image I'll show you today is of the sewing wrap I recently completed.  Only it turns out it wasn't complete as I've added a few more details, including a teeny pocket which is the pale pink rectangle above the swirl of shocking pink applique.  The whole thing's getting increasingly over-the-top, and I'm liking it even more.  On that note - thanks for stopping by my blog, and I hope the sun's shining wherever you are.  Bye for now.  




Comments

  1. Oh dear, I hope you manage to sort out your allotment! Haven't the berries been amazing this year? My freezer's bursting at the seams with raspberries, red and black currants!
    I've read a few of the Ben Macintyre books but not Agent Sonya, one to look out for. Wasn't there a film adaption a few years ago? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vix. You're lucky with those berries. I've had virtually no raspberries this season. Don't know what's happened to 'em. About the film adaptation - there was one called 'Red Joan' with Judi Dench, and they mentioned Sonya in that. It's been on the iplayer recently, and was based on another spy, Melita Norwood. Also good on the iplayer if you've not seen it, a spy drama called 'The Game'. I loved the period settings and outfits. Val x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO MAKE: these decorative birds

 I suggested yesterday that I'd run through how to make a fabric bird wall or window hanging (can't think of a snappier title for it than that!) so here goes.  I'll start with the first decorative hanging I made.   It's something you could make in any colour combination you want, and would look good hanging at a window with translucent beads that'd catch the light   I used five birds for this, but you could make it longer if you prefer.  (Incidentally, if you're wondering about what's hanging off the bottom on this, it's a metal Christmas decoration, shaped like a lantern.  For some reason I thought it looked appropriate to leave it there, looped over the end.)   WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO GATHER TOGETHER:  Assorted scraps of fabric for the front of the birds - aim for a mix of colours and textures.  Silk looks good, as does anything with embroidery or intricate patterns.  You might aim for a hippy-ish boho look, or maybe you're more the minimal Scandi

Sari scraps, PVA, a couple of books and a necklace

  I'm typing this as snow's falling, and has been steadily all day.  It's not settling to any great extent, though I bet by tomorrow morning the paths will be slippery with ice.  Which always makes me paranoid about falling over and at the very least looking undignified, but at worst breaking a bone or twisting an ankle.  Oh well, it's ideal weather to stay inside and craft, isn't it?  I finally got around to listing packs of sari scraps on Etsy this morning.  I only made up six bundles as I've no clue whether they'll sell or if I've set a reasonable enough price point.  Time will tell.   This is a link to the listing, if you're interested.  This vaguely pink fabric isn't from one of my Etsy packs.  It's from a bit of experimenting I was doing yesterday.  I'd seen a post on Instagram showing how a DIY version of batik could be done without using hot wax.  The Instagrammer used PVA instead, and I wanted to try this out.  The glue's su

Paper flowers, leaves, feathers ...

  I had a few requests after posting this photo on Facebook, people asking if I could explain how I made these paper flowers. Your wish is my command, and here's the info.  It's all very simple and you don't need any advanced drawing skills.  So grab a stack of gell prints, a pair of scissors and off we go!  The type of print that seems to work best is one where there's a fair amount of detail, rather than a block of solid plain colour.  Prints where you've maybe channelled your inner Elizabeth St. Hilaire and 'layered layered layered' as she's always urging us to do.  POPPIES If we start with simple poppy seed heads and stalks, they're cut freehand from paper that's mainly shades of orange and brown.  I glued those on to a sheet of white copier paper, then cut them out, leaving a narrow border around each.  Backing the gell print with the white paper adds that contrasting border, but also strengthens the piece, especially the thin stalks.   I