Skip to main content

Wall hanging work-in-progress

 

I thought I'd talk a little more about my wall hanging that's getting nearer completion.  It's my interpretation of the theme 'Creation', and is made with a calico base, measuring roughly 16 x 17 inches in size.  I've pieced together various fabrics to try and represent sea, land and sky, and embroidered and appliqued fishes and - so far - just a solitary bird.  There will be more!  The material making up the land is my handpainted material, done with a mix of acrylic paint and Inktense.  The line of yellow that runs between land and sea is meant to be sand, as on a beach.  I did think about making some pretend rocks and pebbles here, using either grey material or grey beads, but neither of those looked right when I tried them out.  It's all very much been a process of trial and error, and there are definitely things I'd do differently if I started from scratch all over again.  
The trees are made of brown felt which I've lightly padded out, stuffing them with tiny scraps of leftover thread or felt offcuts, and I've used green crewel wool for the leaves.  I've padded a couple of the larger fish out too, but just used Bondaweb to attach the smaller fishes.  
There're little shrubs with berries or flowers, and lines of back stitch to represent grasses.  
More back stitching to attach the light blue seaweed - made from sari fabric, of all things - and I've added seed beads too, including clear ones to represent bubbles coming out of fishes mouths.  Finally, just in case you want a peek at what the backside of my wall hanging looks like - 
It's messy!  I was going to add a backing material to neaten it up, but don't think I will.  I mean, who's bothered about the back of it?  That won't be seen once it's displayed on the wall.  I do need to add hanging loops or something similar, and maybe add some kind of trim or beads to the base.  

The entire thing needs to be complete by mid-September, so I need to crack on with it, don't I?  

Comments

  1. For years I've wanted to make a big wall hanging. I might get it started this year as yours has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely make something. I want to see it when you do.

      Delete
    2. It's definitely on the cards as the days get shorter and the nights draw in

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...