Skip to main content

Nothing dramatic's happening here ...

 

Well, apart from my front room looking like a bomb site, there's nothing much happening in my quiet corner of the world.  February seems muted, rather a dull grey like the sky.  I reckon we're all waiting impatiently for Spring, and days that aren't constantly punctuated by the whooshing of the combi boiler as it lumbers into life and sends out another blast of central heating.  I've made a tentative start with the Spring Cleaning.  A bag or two of stuff's gone to the charity shop, and I've begun listing things on eBay.  There's only so much vintage china you can hang on to before you're knee deep in dainty tea cups and dessert bowls.  I'll keep some of them, and use the ones I really like, but the rest can be sent on their way to new homes.  
I've also been finding things I'd completely forgotten about, like these pretty pink glass dishes.  Should I keep these?  Or should they be eBayed too?  I'm undecided.  Meanwhile ...
I'm more than a quarter of the way through Ann Wood's stitchbook challenge, though have stalled a bit - but not given up entirely - with Tori Chatfield's Abstractuary.  I'll be more of a tortoise than a hare with the latter.  It'll all get done later rather than sooner.
This morning I spent way more time than I should've with the gell plate, stencils and acrylic paints.  I'd eaten my breakfast while watching a fellow crafter gell printing on YouTube, and that made me want to play too.  
I usually print three layers on each sheet of paper.  The first is a single colour in a lighter shade.  The second's a more vivid colour and the top layer's often either white or gold.  
I love the effects you get from layering stencils on top of each other.  
The gell prints are now laying on sheets of newspaper scattered across the carpet.  Adding to the general chaos of the room. 
I may have to ignore the mess and spend the afternoon reading instead.  I've finished 'The Earthquake Bird'.  It was ... okay.  The plot was interesting enough for me to want to know whodunnit - there'd been a dead body found in the water, a woman had been murdered - but not gripping enough for me to seek out any more books by this author.  I've got Louise Erdrich lined up next.  Not read any of hers before, but the book's a Pulitzer Prize winner, and that's a good recommendation, don't you think?  

Hope you're well, and relaxing into the weekend.  Thanks for stopping by.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...