Skip to main content

It's Spring! The daffodils are blooming.

 

It's Ash Wednesday, which is a very solemn day in the church calendar.  So it seems odd that it's such a bright, sunny day.  We had the most glorious rosy pink sunrise this morning, but I couldn't capture the colour on camera.  It washed out the pink, but my trying to take the picture was accompanied by a beautiful dawn chorus of birdsong.  I'm going into Leeds today, for this month's Stitch Art meeting at the gallery.  I'll also attend Mass at the Cathedral.  Then I'll  spend the afternoon having people tell me I've a black smudge on my forehead.  Or I'll feel guilty as I've rubbed the ashes off to avoid people telling me I've a black smudge on my forehead....  Oh well, on to other matters.  I'm making progress with this page of my Ann Wood fabric book.  It's sashiko / boro insipred, and I'm liking the simplicity of it.  I think we're on day 48 now, so nearing halfway through the challenge.  
I finished reading the book about female agents/spies during the second world war - oh my!  they were brave women - and am enjoying Philippa Gregory's 'A Respectable Trade'.  It's set in Bristol, where I used to live, which means a lot of the streets and buildings referred to are familiar to me.  The story centres around Britain's role in buying and selling enslaved African people, and is a reminder of how much wealth this country - and others, of course - made from that evil trade.  Gregory really makes the central character face up the reality of slavery.
To explain the plot, Frances's husband, Josiah Cole, brings a handful of captives to their Bristol home where she's expected to teach them to speak English and to become used to a life of servitude.  It's shocking to hear how people routinely viewed slaves as 'livestock', on parr with cattle or sheep, but interesting to see characters attitudes changing as they're faced with the physical, immediate reality of the theory they spout.  
I'll finish with something less grim.  A little silliness to brighten the mood.  As part of the Abstractuary art challenge, run by Tori Chatfield, there was a prompt 'Basquiat'.  I know very little about Jean-Michel Basquiat, but was attracted by his art featuring cats.  So this is my 'Basquicat'.  Fabric scraps, felt and a fair amount of running stitch.  Hope you like it.  


Comments

  1. A Respectable Trade is a fabulous read! I went to a secular school, a few of the girls used to claim to be Catholic so they could have the morning of Ash Wednesday off to attend church, smearing their foreheads with the contents of an ashtray beforehand! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...