Skip to main content

Fabric bowls & electrical cables ...

To add to my seemingly never ending list of works-in-progress, I've started making a fabric bowl.  Or should I call it a fabric basket?  I'm not sure.  Anyway, I've made the odd bowl or two before, like this blue & white one that I keep cotton perle in.  
I decided to use upholstery material, which has both advantages & disadvantages.  On the good side, it has a certain stiffness, which helps the bowl stay in shape.  On the irritating side, the kind of material I'm using frays like mad, and I'm forever picking up threads off the carpet.  The bowl's a simple construction, and I've used a circle of cardboard covered with brown felt for the base.  
It'll look much better when I've embroidered and stitched into it.  I've made a start on that, and appliqued on a rectangle of plum coloured velvet for extra interest.
When not stitching, I've been catching up on my reading.  I finished C J Sansom's 'Dark Fire'.  
Really enjoyed it, despite some grisly details.  I'm now reading Robert Galbraith's 'Career of Evil' after finding a copy of that in a charity shop.  I think I've read the other Strike novels, but somehow missed this one.  
I picked up a few other things while rummaging in charity shops.  This lovely book on Klimt, a pack of Paperchase notecards, and this intriguing book by Liz Hyder, 'The Gifts'.  
That's about all for now, unless you want to listen to me ranting about electrical cables .... okay, well, if you insist ...  The cable for my laptop broke today.  I think there was a loose wire and it's stopped working, so I need a replacement if I'm to recharge my laptop.  Of course, it might be hoped I'd find a replacement cable in the large box of cables I've got stuck in a cupboard upstairs.  But no ... I've every type of cable for laptops & tablets & mobile phones that've long since gone to the great electrical graveyard in the sky.  But do any of them fit my Chromebook?  No.  No, of course they don't.  That'd be too much to expect.  So it's an online order from Amazon for a new cable.  In the meantime, I dare not throw any cables away from the box in the upstairs cupboard because if I do, I'll miraculously find a need for one of them, won't I?   Arghhhh!!!!!!  

Rant over.  Hope you've had a good weekend, and farewell from rainy Yorkshire.  x 







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...