Skip to main content

Inspired by tyres? Maybe not as weird as it sounds ...

 

This photo will make sense in a while ... but before I get around to that I'll show you my latest charity shop finds.  It'll probably come as no surprise that I've bought yet more books.  
The Quilting Arts Idea Book in particular is a fab bargain.  Full of inspiring photos and techniques to experiment with.  Someone once paid twenty seven U.S. dollars for it, which makes me wonder how it ended up in a West Yorkshire charity shop.
Another two novels can be added to my To-Be-Read pile.  
All four books for a mere £2.50.  I also picked up these bottles of drawing ink, which I've not tried using before, taking my total bill to £4.49.  I left the shop with a smile on my face and change from a fiver.  
Now, to explain that photo at the beginning of this blog post.  Wednesday was the day for my monthly stitching group at Leeds Art Gallery.  This month we were looking at ...... tyres.  Yup, tyres.  Burst car tyres.  
To be honest, this is the kind of modern art display I'd normally walk straight past.  Probably with a sneer on my face and a scornful 'Huh!  Call that art?'  But the StitchArt session was themed around using found objects in your textile work, so we were encouraged to look more closely at the tyres.  
To look at the shapes made by burst tyres.  The texture of what's inside that outer layer.  The colours.
And you know what?  

I started to see something interesting about these otherwise mundane objects.  

Seated around a table we began stitching, using metallic embroidery thread, wire, black netting, crumpled paper, muslin, all kinds of things.  It was so interesting to see how many variations on a theme there were when our efforts were collected together at the end of the session.  Some people based their pieces on the colours of the actual tyres.  Others didn't and went their own way.  One lady concentrated on slashing material to reflect how the surfaces of the tyres were slashed.  Another made a kind of 3D sculpture with wire and paper.  
This was my effort.  I layered a light brown material with a black cotton fabric, then crumpled and gathered up muslin.  I added netting, plus bronze coloured wire that I couched down.  I stitched with silver coloured thread and cut up pieces of black rubber in order to make beads out of them.  
It looks kind of mad, but I think we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and maybe ended up being more creative than we thought we'd be.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Taking a blog break ...

Hello!  And goodbye, at least for now.  The blog's on hold for a little while as I'm easing myself into 2026 gradually.  I'm still stitching and reading and enjoying life with Badger the cat.  Even though he treats my sofa like a giant scratching post!     

Badger!

  Here's Badger, looking like the little cutie-pie he is.  He's settled in so well, is absurdly affectionate and eats anything and everything I put in his food bowl.  The only fault I can find is that he likes to sharpen his claws on the side of my sofa.  This is despite having two scratching posts, one of which is part of a cat tower that's taller than I am!  I may have to try trimming his claws, but I don't know how Badger will react to that.  Anyway, expect to see more photos of him, so sorry in advance for any of you who aren't feline fans.    Apart from gazing in admiration at the cat I've continued to experiment with embroidery.  I really can't decide whether this mainly pink piece of stitching is something I like or just a dog's dinner of a mess.   This is another embroidery I've been stitching.  Frankly, at the moment it looks like it should be lobbed straight into the bin.  I'd painted with a mix of watercolour pa...

Final post for 2025 (I think. I mean, unless anything amazingly wonderful happens that I can't keep to myself any longer ...)

  The days are marching by at record speed, and I've finally - possibly - bought all the presents I need to buy and written all the Christmas cards I need to send.   I decided not to put up a full-sized tree this year as I'm convinced Badger the cat would simply view it as a climbing frame, and I'd find it toppled on a daily basis.  Instead, there's a small green tree, and a simple white twiggy one that has lots of vintage baubles dangling from it.  To be honest, I prefer the twiggy one, so the green tree might be permanently retired from now on.  I've not gone crazy with the decorations, but there are various strings of fairy lights that look so pretty when they're lit.   I have - between internet shopping and baking mince pies - made a little fishy pin cushion, decorated with seed stitches, French knots, chain stitch and stem stitch.  I'm on the look-out for grey tweedy material to make another fish as I think that'd look better than plain ...